NARI of Greater St. Louis has always promoted continuing education for its members, mainly through the NARI certification program. To qualify for a certification, the individual must meet certain criteria in the areas of experience, background and knowledge. The certification process involves many hours of study, as well as completion of a full day of written and competency testing. Moreover, each year the person must complete additional continuing education requirements in order to renew his/her certification.
- MRA Master Certified Remodeler: has held the Certified Remodeler designation for at least 10 years and submits letters of recommendation
- CR Certified Remodeler – professional remodelers who provide a full range of remodeling services. To become a CR, candidates must possess skill and knowledge in a broad range of business management and technical skill areas.
- CKBR Certified Kitchen & Bath Remodeler – provides remodeling services specific to kitchens and bathrooms. To become a CKBR, candidates must possess skills and knowledge focused on the requirement of materials, layout, and installation of kitchens and bathrooms.
- CLC Certified Lead Carpenter – the hands-on field personnel who oversee every aspect of the project: customer satisfaction, personnel management, administration, etc. while working on the project.
- CRC Certified Remodeling Carpenter – or carpenters who have a basic knowledge and the required skills of a remodeling carpenter. To become a CRC, candidates must go through an extensive training program and pass a comprehensive exam and hands-on evaluation.
- GCP Green Certified Professional – requires at least five years in the remodeling industry and 16 hours of continuing or formal education in green or sustainable remodeling practices, plus a passing score on a detailed exam.
- UDCR Universal Design Certified Remodeler
Other Certifications (not from NARI)
- CAPS Certified Aging in Place Specialists (from NAHB, National Assn. of Home Builders, www.nahb.org)
- CGBP Certified Green Building Professional (from Build It Green, www.builditgreen.org)
- CID Certified Interior Designer (see website: www.ccidc.org)
- CKD Certified Kitchen Designer
- CBD Certified Bathroom Designer (CKD & CBD are from NKBA, the National Kitchen & Bath Assn., www.nkba.org)